Friday, September 07, 2007

First Week of "Official" Homeschooling

I had intended to start "officially" homeschooling this week. Of course, that was derailed by the fact that Pauly had a touch of the stomach flu, and then I ended up with far more than a touch of the stomach flu. Maybe instead of "a touch" it was a "beating" of the flu?

I had decided on doing a short period of structured schooling each day, based off Laura Berquist's ideas in Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum. She estimates her suggestions to take about 45 minutes a day for kindergarteners. I have to say, that must only be true if your children cooperate. On Wednesday Pauly refused to do a retelling/narration exercise. In fact, he sat at the table refusing to respond to my questions until he fell asleep.

I'm going to try again, but not attempt to force it. I got some suggestions on doing narrations, but was also told that Charlotte Mason, who highly advocated this technique, didn't have 5 and 6 year old kids doing them but saved them for older children. I'm also leaning more towards a less structured plan than I was when I set this all out. So we're going to go for it next week, and hopefully things will go better with well children and mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.