Friday, August 13, 2010

A Good Friend

One of my good friends from high school, Jill Caputo, was killed in a motor vehicle accident earlier this week. That hurts even just to type it out. I want to post a proper memorial, and see if I can find some pictures from high school to scan and post, but I wanted to post some thoughts now since I don't want to forget them. I spoke to my therapist this morning, and he asked me about Jill, and these are some of the things that I remembered.

She was one of the strongest people I have ever known. She had to work hard for everything -- things that we simply take for granted could be an ordeal for her. Her disability, which resulted in partial paralysis and decreased mobility, affected much of her life, but she worked through everything. Those who went to high school with her might consider how much effort she had to put into simply going up the stairs at the school! She was not willing to let her disability hold her back from anything. She found a way to make things work.

She gave me so much. I tend to be shy, and left to myself I just spent time at home. Jill was the driving force behind most of my social activities my junior and senior year of high school, and I think that was a very good thing. She pulled our little group - which also included Ray, Laura and Shawn - together and was the one who made plans and made things happened. She helped to pull me out of the shell that I tended to retreat into. I really needed that at that time, sometimes I still need it.

There is so much more I could post, but I'm getting scatter brained. Jill, thank you. Thank you for your friendship, and for introducing me to so many other friends. Thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone, and sometimes getting me to push back. Thank you for keeping me going, caring about me, and giving me a great example of strength, courage and indomitable spirit.


I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, God's dwelling is with the human race. He will dwell with them and they will be his people and God himself will always be with them (as their God). He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, (for) the old order has passed away." The one who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new."
-Revelation 21:3-5


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.